Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Baby Hats

Since I'm due in October, have several friends due in October or November and a couple cousins due this winter also I was looking for quick & cute baby gifts. Came across a bunch of cute crochet patterns for newborn hats. I posted pictures of the hats I've done already on facebook, but thought I should put them on here with links to the patterns for other hookers.

We'll start with my personal favorite. Allicrafts provided the pattern for the earflap newborn hat .  I used a variegated cotton yarn in white, light blue & lime green. Instead of doing the braided strings on the earflaps I just did a chain and went over it with single crochet as I went around the edge of the hat. I think I'm keeping this one for myself.

Next up is the deeply textured hat also from Allicrafts. This is also done in cotton yarn - bright red this time. The texture doesn't show up as nicely in the picture as in real life. You can see the texture of the stitch on the pattern website. It's really a beautiful looking hat. This was one of the smaller newborn hats. I chose not to finish the edge with the crabstitch as it isn't very stretchy. I just did a final round of single crochet around the bottom.


Number three hat is the fuzzy bear hat , again from Allicrafts. She has some very nice patterns. She has also included the pattern for 3 and 6 months size.  I used some leftover homespun yarn in brown & blue. I didn't quite have enough brown for the hat and ears, so made the ears in blue and then added a blue stripe to tie into the ears color. I think it turned out extremely cute.  This is my 2nd favorite hat.


Now a pattern from a different site. "The blue crab stitches at midnight" offers this cute pattern for the sweet and simple newborn hat . This was done in a purple cotton yarn. It's a very simple pattern, good for beginners. The scallops going around the bottom make the edge a little less stretchy but this hat is a little larger. I think you could fold up the bottom edge a bit for the newborn and let it down as baby gets a bit bigger. I left this one plain, but may add a flower later in a complimentary color. It also might look nice with the scallops done in a different color.
I did another hat from this same pattern. This one is done in "I love this wool" I think. I can't find the remnant that had the label on it. It 's a nice soft yard in a very soft pink color. I added a couple of simple 5 petal flowers in the same yarn and edged one in purple with sc.



Next, back to Allicrafts for the bobbolicious newborn hat . I found this hat to come out a little small so I took it apart and added a round before starting the bobbles to give just a little more head room. This was done in a light, creamy yellow cotton. It makes a cute little bobbly hat. Sorry the picture came out blurry. I couldn't get the camera to focus.

Our model is a baby doll we've had for several years. My 7 yr old got this baby when her brother was born and since it was bigger than all her other baby dolls, it earned the name "Bigger" and the name has stuck. Bigger is very close to newborn size so he's good for trying on patterns. Hope you enjoy the patterns as much as I did!





No comments:

Post a Comment