Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Headbands and minimalism

Our family goal this year is to pare down our "stuff." Phil and are both like the idea of the minimalist lifestyle, plus it will help our family of six plus two cats fit a little better in our little two bedroom house.

So my personal goal this year is to not acquire any new fabric or yarn but to go through and actually use my stash. By the end of the year I hope to have my stash down to one storage container and have lots of cool gifts to give away. The corner that is currently holding several containers full of fabric/ yarn could then be converted to a permanent sewing nook. Currently, I just set up shop on the dining room table.
yeah, it's a little messy! six containers, plus a couple in my bedroom closet

So my first stash buster has been scarves and hats to give away to anyone that needs them. I used up a few old t-shirts, some fleece and some flowery flannel and got about ten scarves and a few hats.
Just a couple of the scarves and a funny shaped hat.
My second project, found on pinterest, is these braided/ woven headbands. Excellent for using up some more t-shirt fabric. Most store headbands either pinch my head or give me a headache or don't stay on. These are stretchy all around and have enough texture to stay put and made to fit my head snugly without hurting. I love them.

My favorite one is this green one I used the seams cut out of tshirts. One of the strips has black stitching on it and looks nice with the greens. It's super stretchy, soft and (here's my geeky side showing) it makes me feel like Princess Leia on Endor. And who doesn't love being Princess Leia!!
The dark green braids reminiscent of Leia's braids.


No comments:

Post a Comment